Rigorous and highly selective, this individualized program is designed for people who have the competence and confidence to go into the classroom and be successful.
Pre-Service is NOT required for this one year course of study. ECO Candidates must demonstrate competencies through the Teaching Performance Assessments (TPA) on the FIRST submission. Failure to do so will result in the candidate losing his or her status as an ECO Candidate.
Prior to successful program completion, all ECO candidates must demonstrate completion of a foundational computer technology course or CSET Exam equivalent (Preliminary Education Technology Exam).
In addition, Multiple Subject ECO Candidates must pass the Reading Instruction Competence Assessment (RICA) prior to program completion.
The ECO Option is currently available for English, Math, Science, and Multiple Subject.
ECO candidates must complete all 10 Pre-Service admissions requirements
1. Admission Application
2. Official transcripts with bachelors degree posted
3. Pass California Basic Education Skills Test (CBEST)
4. One page resume
5. One page personal statement regarding your motivation for entering the teaching profession, and your goals for promoting student academic achievement
6. Three professional recommendations
Must be submitted using FSE’s recommendation form, including an original signature from the recommender
7. $60 non-refundable application fee (Early Bird – March 5th) or $75 non-refundable application fee (Final Deadline for ECO – April 1st)
8. Proof of passing a collegiate level course or examination in the U.S. Constitution www.usconstitutionexam.com
9. Certificate of Clearance issued by California Commission on Teacher Credentialing with no convictions www.ctc.ca.gov
10. Successful interview with FSE admission panel
– Demonstrate subject matter competency
Pass the California Subject Examinations for Teachers (CSET)
Obtain Subject Matter Equivalency Letter
– Pass the appropriate ECO Exam:
– Pass interview with FSE Admissions Panel, which includes teaching a Demonstration Lesson
– Pass the CalTPA Task 1: Subject Specific Pedagogy on the FIRST try
– Under “TASKS AND RUBRICS > Subject-Specific Pedagogy Task > Candidate Tasks,” select the subject that applies to you: English, Mathematics, Science, or Multiple Subject
– Secure full-time teaching contract with a participating school district, teaching at least 60% in subject area
Tuition & Fees
Application Fee: $60 (Early Bird) or $75 (Final Deadline for ECO)
– PLUS TPA Task 1 Assessment Fee: $30
* PLEASE NOTE: Application Fee and TPA Task 1 Assessment Fee must be paid separately (i.e. 2 separate checks) *
ECO Tuition: $6,990.00 for one year
$873.75 per month for 8 months
First installment is out of pocket