Before students officially begin their teaching internship, it’s mandated by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing that they successfully complete 160 hours of Pre-Service instruction. Pre-Service is a rigorous “boot camp” for prospective teachers, designed to ensure they are fully prepared for the classroom. Successful completion of Pre-Service is also a prerequisite for admission to Fortune School’s teacher credential programs.
Offered in the summer, Fortune School Pre-Service program provides students an introduction to classroom management, lesson planning, and instructional strategies with a focus on reading and second-language learners.
1. Admission Application
2. Official transcripts with bachelors degree posted
3. Pass California Basic Education Skills Test (CBEST)
4. One page resume
5. One page personal statement regarding your motivation for entering the teaching profession, and your goals for promoting student academic achievement
6. Three professional recommendations
Must be submitted using FSE’s recommendation form, including an original signature from the recommender
7. $60 non-refundable application fee (Early Bird – March 5th), $75 non-refundable application fee (Regular – April 1st), or $100 non-refundable application fee (Late – April 30th)
8. Proof of passing a collegiate level course or examination in the U.S. Constitution www.usconstitutionexam.com
9. Certificate of Clearance issued by California Commission on Teacher Credentialing with no convictions www.ctc.ca.gov
10. Successful interview with FSE admission panel
Application Fee: $60 (Early Bird), $75 (Regular), or $100 (Late)